WHAT WE OFFER—JUNIOR DEVELOPMENT PROGRAM
ORC’s ten-year-old Junior Program has brought the sport of competitive cycling to Central Florida youth.
Recognizing the opportunity to make a difference, ORC extends a helping hand to the children of our community, regardless of background, financial resources or ability. The only requirement is that children families who join give the sport their best.
ORC’s Junior Program provides children ages 10 to 18 with unique opportunities and training that enrich their lives while developing skills that build physical fitness, mental focus and discipline, team play, maturity, character and self-esteem. No other Central Florida organization, including public or private schools, has as broad, dedicated, award-winning, and nationally recognized junior cycling program.
ORC’s goals and objectives to accomplish these are as follows:
- Introduce the sport of competitive cycling to children ages 10 to 18;
- Provide a professional cycling organization built on a solid foundation;
- Provide a progressive four-level junior development program for junior racers;
- Provide professional coaching and a dedicated, experienced support staff; and
- Develop junior racers to their full potential from beginner to elite amateur and professional levels.
1. Invite children from all segments of the Central Florida community to join ORC with a special effort focused on diversity;
2. Provide every junior member the opportunity to get involved in competitive cycling regardless of financial situation and background;
Provide a seamless path for juniors to develop from a beginner who just wants to enjoy the sport to a racer in our development program, and then to support them at the elite and national level;
3. Provide a seamless path for juniors to develop from a beginner who just wants to enjoy the sport to a racer in our development program, and then to support them at the elite and national level
4. Provide assistance and support to all juniors from beginner to national levels;
5. Develop nationally and internationally competitive junior racers; and
6. Provide a professional organization with expert coaches and staff. To that end, our USA Cycling-certified coaches teach the following core areas of cycling skills and behaviors
- Physical/physiological preparation;
- Training/competition behaviors;
- Psychological/emotional/social behaviors;
- Technical skills;
- Tactical skills; and
- Equipment knowledge.
ORC’s Junior Program is uniquely comprehensive in that it provides three distinct levels of cycling development. ORC starts with beginners and introduces them to the basics of competitive cycling. Juniors can then progress to the development program and then on to the elite and national teams.
ORC’s Elite and Master Team racers guide and mentor junior racers.
ORC Development Program riders are currently leading several Florida Ranking System Points competition and are expected to be invited to this year’s development camps.
JUNIOR DEVELOPMENT PROGRAM
Racers who take racing seriously are welcomed into the ORC Development Program where they can work directly with an ORC coach. The coach personally supervises the racer’s continued development and training to prepare the racer for competition in state, regional, national and international events.
This level of racing and training requires additional support above and beyond that required in the Junior Program, including:
- Competitive level equipment (bike, components, extra wheels, etc.).
- Increased travel expenses (for racers, coaches and/or support personnel).
- Increased support at races (supervision, mechanical, nutrition during races, etc.).
- Increased time and commitment by racers, parents and coaches.
ORC DEVELOPMENT PROGRAM RESULTS
5 ORC Racers have qualified for and raced in the Tour de L’Abitibi in Val-d’ Or, Canada
1 ORC Espoir competed at the Cycling Center in Belgium for 2 months
9th – Tour de L’Abitibi – Stage #7 – 2004
1 ORC racer competing on U-23 National Team in Europe
NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP RESULTS:
ORC has produced 4 Junior / Espoir National Champions
2009 1st Junior 10-12 US Junior National Champion in Road Race (RR)
2009 1st Junior 10-12 US Junior National Champion Time Trial (TT)
2009 1st Junior 11-12 National Triathlon, CO
2009 2nd Junior 10-12 National Criterium (Crit)
2009 5th Junior 15-16 US Junior National Crit
2008 22nd Junior 13-14 US Junior National RR
2008 16th Junior 13-14 US Junior National Crit, 15th Junior 13-14 US Junior National TT
2007 ORC juniors were 6th in Junior 13-14 TT, 6th in Jr 13-14 RR & 10th in Jr 17-18 Crit
ORC riders have earned podium placings at the Junior /Espoir National Championships 17 times
NATIONAL RACE RESULTS:
2009 1st Overall 15-16 Tour of Red River Gorge
1st Youth National Championship USA Triathlon, WI
2005 1st Athens Twilight Category 2 race
2005 3rd & 7th Roswell Category 2/3 Criterium
2004 3rd Fitchburg Longsjo Criterium
2005 3 –Top 10 and 6 Top 20 finishes at Superweek Junior World’s Selection Series races
2 ORC Development Program racers attended U-23 Road Camp in Nov. 2005 – Winston David earning a spot on the U-23 National Team.
2009 Southeast Regional Development Camp – ORC Jrs top placings 6th, 7th in 15-16, 5th 17-18
2008 Southeast Regional Development Camp – ORC sent 5 Jrs top placings were 1st in 15-16, and 4th & 9th in junior 17-18
2007 Southeast Regional Development Camp—2nd and 5th on junior men 14-16 General Classification (GC)
2004 Southeast Regional Road Camp – 1st & 2nd on General Classification (GC) in Junior Men and 1st Espoir Woman
2003 Southeast Regional Road Camp – ORC Development Program racers were 2nd, 3rd, & 5th on GC
5 ORC Development Program racers have qualified for and attended USA Cycling National Road Camp
2 ORC Development Program racers earned selection to, and participated in, the USA Cycling National Endurance Camp
2009 Junior 10-12 State Champion—Time Trial
2009/2010 State Champion – Cyclocross in Men’s Cat 4
2009 ORC Juniors Team 15-16 Florida Points Series (FPS) Leader
2009 ORC Men’s Cat 3 FPS Leader
2009 ORC Men’s Cat 4 FPS Leader
2009 Men’s Cat 4 Florida Cup 2nd
2009 ORC Junior Team 10-12 FPS 2nd
2008 Junior 15-16 & 13-14 State Champion TT
2008 Junior 13-14 State Champion – Cyclocross
2008 Junior 13-14 State Champion – Criterium
2008 Cat 4 State Champion—Criterium
2008 Junior 13-14 FPS Leader
2007 Junior 13-14 State Champion—Road Race
2007 Junior 13-14 State Champion—Time Trial
2007 ORC Junior Team won Florida Cup Series
2007 ORC Junior 13-14 FPS leader
2005 ORC Junior 13-14 FPS leader
2005 ORC Junior 13-14 Florida Cup tied for 1st
2003 15-16 State Champion—Road Race & TT
2009 Development Juniors have 16 wins and 51 podiums
2008 Development Juniors have 24 wins and 46 podiums